Apologies: This video was created using VB2008. Some of the screens will not match those in VB2010. You should still be able to make sense out of the screens and cautions
Watch the video and/or read the how-to.
A) Duplicate the Standard File. In this part of the tutorial, you will copy and paste the outer AuxiliaryFiles folder and rename it for your next project. This is how you will start all of your programming projects for this course.
1) Go to your CS113/Projects folder to see the outer folder named AuxiliaryFiles.
2) Highlight it and click on Copy and then Paste.
3) Highlight the AuxiliaryFiles-copy and rename it to “Coupons”, insert a hyphen and include your last name ended with the first letter of your last name and then place “-01”. For example, mine is called “Coupons-AmbrosiniS-01” and I will use this program name throughout this tutorial. You, of course will have your own name on the file. You will name all of your programs with this structure or they will not be accepted.
REMINDER: If you know what is good for you, other than using copy & paste,
you will NEVER open or tamper with the AuxiliaryFiles folder.
If you do, disaster will prevail, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but it will prevail….
B) Modify the ExitProgram
1) Open your Projects/Programs folder and open the outer Coupon-AmbrosiniS-01 folder.
2) Right click on the colorful icon for AuxiliaryFiles (Not the folder) , rename the file to “Coupon-AmbrosiniS-01”. !!!! REMEMBER: Do not rename the AuxiliaryFiles folder! !!!!
3) Double click on the colorful icon for “Coupon-AmbrosiniS-01”
4) Double Click the blue image for AuxiliaryFiles.vb in the Solution Explorer to open the form.
5) Right click on AuxiliaryFiles.vb in the Solution Explorer and Rename it to “Coupon.vb”.
7) Scroll in the Properties menu to “Text” and change “AuxiliaryFiles” to “Coupons”.
.8) Scroll to Name and change it to frmCoupon- (No spaces or special characters!)
9) Using similar options presented here in this section, create a Label, just as you created a Button, and place your name in the text field.
10) Click on the Label you just made, hold down the
key and click on the Exit Button. See that they are both selected,
11) In the Properties list, scroll up to Font and click on the small plus sign in the square.
12) Click on Size and enter 25. See that objects selected will change properties accordingly. Resize the objects as needed.
13) Hit File, and then Save All. Close VB.
C) Issue revision numbers when reopening a project or after a lot of changes are made.
1) Go into the folder in which your present project is contained.
2) Copy and paste the most recent instance of the program.
3) Rename the project with a version number one level higher than the original. Use
the newer version to continue developing the program.
Without a revision policy, you would be continuously working on only one project. In the event it that is becomes corrupt, gets lost, deleted, if you totally mess things up or decide that this version is not working and it is too complicated to fix, you can always go back into an earlier version.
SA(att)ProfessorsPlace(dott)Info to contact me by E-Mail.